Monday, December 8, 2008

Elie Wiesel quote

I was talking to my brother the other day about how my idealism has been taking a little bit of a beating lately, and this relates to my frustration over humankind's seeming lack of....awareness? humanity? At the end of the day, I still believe that people are good, and it isn't because they are incompassionate or bad that they don't seem to care. It is human nature to have a self-defense. In the genocide documentary that I posted about yesterday, Elie Weisel was asked about the tendency for the world to ignore the atrocities that are going on:

It's better not to believe, because if you believe, you don't sleep nights. And how can you eat? How can you drink a glass of wine, when you know?

I try to think in terms of this corollary as much as possible: how can I complain about (fill in the blank), because I DO know. I DO know how lucky I am, how wonderful my life is, and how blessed I am that God gifted me with this life, these opportunities, these people. But it is hard, isn't it, to avoid that guilt sometimes. There but for the grace of God go I... I want to earn it. I want to make it up, somehow.

2 comments:

Monica said...

This is ongoing inner conflict for me. Because once you KNOW what is happening, you either decide if you are a person who can do something to help or if you are not going to do anything at all. And I feel that many people are ashamed to admit that they would rather not do anything to help. This world should be thankful to have someone like who can help lift that veil from humanity's eyes to notice the hunger, poverty, war, abuse, and neglect that takes place globally. And in all honesty, you have been a huge help in showing me these things and your passion motivates me to learn more.

Barefoot said...

Thank you, Miss Monica =). And thank you for what you do with kids. And thank you for coming to visit me. And see you SOON!